Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Range

So last night as I was teaching my class, my husband popped up on messenger. I usually have the internet on in class so that I have easy access to a dictionary. My German is good but sometimes they ask for things I just don't know.

Hubby wasn't happy. He'd been told at 5pm to pack and that he was being sent to another base the following morning at 5am. We'd known a range trip was coming up but it had been put out for next week.

Not for hubby, he's one of the 'lucky' people assigned to guarding ammunition until the rest of the unit gets there. So I came home from work at about 9pm last night and it was a mad rush for us getting everything ready, rearranging jobs and organising things like shopping (not an easy feat as I can't drive). We have all our ducks in a row now so emergency over but Army? Come on...really? You couldn't tell him before?

Even better, the ammo they're supposed to be guarding doesn't get there until Friday, so why the rush to get down there today?

Yeah yeah, I know...'hurry up and wait' and lots of other pithy platitudes fired at people that dare to complain about the Army sucking.

While I would prefer to have him home, it's really not a big deal though. 9 days is a walk in the park after the large chunks of time we've spent apart.

The thing that bugs me though is we have this nice new bed, with nice new mattresses and it's soooo fucking comfy and my goddamn cuddle monkey is guarding some crappy pile of ammo over in Graf!!!

Still, it could be worse...all the people on profile (the fatties and the injured) have been put on a 14 day detail to go dress up as Arab insurgents and get shot at with fake bullets by another company.

Sounds cruel but I can't help but laugh my ass off at the sound of that.

2 comments:

  1. You know, there's some things I really don't miss - and stunts like this definitely fall in that category.

    Ah well, could be worse - could be two weeks as an insurgent :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I keep thinking although that'd probably make me laugh thinking about it.

    It still tickles me that they have all these overweight and crippled insurgents dressed in fake Arab gear running around in woods and fake villages and getting shot at. It's so 'Team America'

    DURKA DURKA!!!

    ReplyDelete